Saturday, November 20, 2010

Holiday Project - Learn A New Skill!

This is what happens when I'm on holiday: I discover something new and spend hours obsessively learning to do it. Like cross stitching, which made me feel like and old lady cos I was sitting in a corner SEWING. That being said, it's awesome and super therapeutic! And cookie-baking fever, which last occurred years ago. I made batches and batches of peanut butter cookies, and haven't touched an oven since. This holiday, I've discovered PHOTOSHOPPPPP.

I realised I can make ugly pictures look nicer just by filtering them, and using some reeeally simple tools!

I took this picture because I have a thing for taking pics of paths and stuff. Unfortunately, this is NOT a prime specimen of paths. And I thought the colours were really ugly. So I filtered, cropped, covered up ugliness and super saturated all the colours, resulting in

THIS!
Ok don't ask why the sky is purple. It was an accident but I realised I like purple skies. So there.

I really like this picture of the river in Kuala Selangor (went there with the fam on Thursday, pictures to come!), but I was bored and figured it could use some recolouring. Filtered the whole thing to make it bluer, and made the trees greener with this really awesome quick select tool.

The difference is, I think, not too obvious but I like how peaceful and scenic it looks!

And oooh, I figured out how people do that awesome thing where the whole picture is in grayscale except for one bit! It's the quick select tool, or the magic lasso thingamajiggy, and you can make everything ELSE grayscale, leaving the selected object coloured.

I just HAD to take a picture of this cute cat sitting alone and forlorn. Unfortunately, cos it's so small, it doesn't stand out at all!

So I cropped it, grayscaled the background and saturated the cat's colour.
Much better, no?

Anyhow, if there are any awesome pro people out there, do feel free to drop me suggestions, etc. I'm still learning how to do stuff, got bitten by the bug yesterday while trying to resize pictures using Photoshop!

When my internet picks up speed (god, I hate slow internet), I will post up pics of a random Lim family road trip to Kuala Selangor! Yes, the place famed for fireflies. No, we didn't go to see fireflies. We ate seafood and took scenic pics instead =D

2 comments:

k0k s3n w4i said...

wow, you remind me of how much i sucked at photoshop when i first started out! :P:P:P

May Lee said...

gee thanks *sulk*