Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Romance Novels Are Literary Junk Food But I Is Loves 'Em

There's something about romance novels that call out to me.
As a Literature student, steeped for semesters in a broth of feminist principles, I should be the one who condemns the shameless participation of romance novels in supporting existing gender stereotypes. 
It's a bit hard to do when I'm devouring said novels in a manner not unlike a starving wolf, though.
I love reading about women who are strong, yes, but also about delightfully and - dare I say it? - erotically domineering men.
By domineering I don't mean assholes. I mean..
Gah, go read any book by Lisa Kleypas. You'd get a good idea of what I mean.
Yes, characters in romance novels usually fit a certain mould, and I should be ashamed of telling people that I secretly want to be seduced behind some bushes, since lots of things that seem awesome in books don't really translate well into real-life situations. But still. When life is hard and fraught with complications, it's nice to snuggle in bed with a book where all problems eventually get ironed out, there's hot sex, and boatloads of warm, melty love to hold everything together.
*blissful sigh*

Look at that! T____T how to resist

P/S: I've also come to the conclusion that it's masochistic to sigh over happy endings and then confront a boyfriend-less reality. Even more so when it's my own commitment-phobia that makes me run screaming at the thought of settling down. 
Oh well. Enough talking. Time to start the next book!

2 comments:

k0k s3n w4i said...

do you know what sound that is?

that's the sound of my opinion of you plummeting down a cliffside. its body was never found.

just kidding. i indulge in spec fic (sci-fi and fantasy) myself, and that genre isn't exactly considered cool either. and some of my earliest forays into literature involved a box of my mom's old novels - many of which are by jackie collins.

May Lee said...

Leo leaned farther out the window. “I love you,” he said shortly. As he stared at Catherine’s small,
shivering figure, he felt his color run high, and his soul open with an emotion deeper than he had ever
imagined could reside in him. “I love you, Marks. My heart is completely and utterly yours. And
unfortunately for you, the rest of me comes with it.” Leo paused, struggling for words, when they had
always come so easily to him. But these had to be the right words. They meant too much. “I know I’m a
bad bargain. But I’m begging you to have me anyway. Because I want the chance to make you as happy
as you make me. I want to build a life with you.” He fought to steady his voice. “Please come to me, Cat,
because there’s no surviving you. You don’t have to love me back. You don’t have to be mine. Just let
me be yours.”

*sigh* i'd go down to try and search for your opinion's body, but i'm still a little bit too floaty after reading the above paragraph.

hey i like fantasy! well, some. haha. i don't read much but the ones i have, i like! well it's a relief to know that i'm not alone in sekkret uncool-genre-book loving.