Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wednesday Night

IS DRINKING NIGHT!

Study? Us? Whaaat? Apa tu?

THIS is what Literature students get up to when we suddenly decide to dress up, get out of the monkey-infested jungle that is UKM and paint the town... err.. a nice shade of salmon pink.

The view from my window. Pretty, no? But MONKEY INFESTED.

So, back to our Wednesday night escapade!

We went to Jaya 1 in PJ, specifically because of Brussels Beer Garden (Hoegaarden!), because Chris Tan was craving Hoegaarden beer (and so was I). But I'm getting ahead of myself. The night starts with dinner at Frontera, this AWESOME Mexican place in Jaya 1, right next to Brussels. 


While waiting for Her Majesty Pei Vin to arrive, we 

The Christinas!
This is NOT a candid shot. Do not be fooled.
camwhoredddd =D *ahem* I mean, practiced our photography skills. Don't the Christinas look awesome?

When Pei Vin arrived, she wanted to join in the fun!

Okay, enough about us, what about the food, right? THE FOOD IS GOOD. We've never had burritos or tacos before, and I had to ask a waiter "Erm, excuse me, what is a burrito?", feeling very stupid because, hello, we're in a Mexican place! How can we not know what Mexican food is, right? However he wasn't very informative, being quite bad at explaining.. so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Zees ees a burrito.
And this is a taco!
We tried both types of taco; yes, you can choose from a choice of 'soft' or 'hard' tacos (Chris chose both cos we're all noobs at tacos, etc). Both are yummy! The hard one tastes like Original Flavour Chachos. The soft one is a squishy Chacho. Hmm. Sounds gross, but tastes good!

The burritos - Chrissy had a Frontera Beef Burrito (RM15.95) and I had a Shredded Beef (RM17.95) one - look exactly the same so I only uploaded one picture! They taste super awesome - if you like Tex-Mex food, you'd love this place. Mine was incredbly rich and flavourful, the beef was nicely shredded and tender. With cheese and their 'Fire Sauce' (I kept interrogating the waiter "Is it spicy?" "Are you SURE it's not? Are you really really SURE?", I mean, it's called FIRE Sauce! But it's not, don't worry), it is absolutely yummy, bursting with meat and juices, tempered with the richness of the cheese. The burrito's wrapping - a flour tortilla, if I'm not wrong - is slightly chewy in texture and relatively tasteless, which is perfectly fine because it complements the stuffing to perfection. 
Chrissy's burrito tasted quite similar to mine, to be honest. I can't really remember what the difference was, but I found mine to be more flavourful and her beef wasn't all shredded like mine.
The burritos and tacos came with 3 sides; refried beans, a salsa salad thing, and Mexican rice. The rice... well, it tasted like nasi tomato. Not the most amazing thing ever, to be honest, just tomato-ey rice. Plus, I'm on my low-carb diet, so I automatically go 'EW! CARBSS!' whenever I encounter rice. But the refried beans are pretty awesome! Somehow, when I think of 'refried', I envision dry, slightly burnt and pebble-like beans. But noooo.. these are the texture of baked beans, with a delicious savoury flavour that just... oh God, I'm starting to salivate. Mmm. 
The salsa salad was okay! A lot of people aren't really into tomatoes and onions, so if you're one of them, the salad may not be your thing, but I found it really nice after all that heavy food. Very light, with that onion-y bite and the tang of tomatoes, it really prevented me from getting jelak.

And the tacos! Mmm. Chris chose the Chicken Taco (RM17.95, I think) (I'm so bad at remembering names *sadface*), so its flavour was lighter compared to ours. Unlike my burrito, the taco was stuffed with veggies as well as meat. And I only tried the hard taco, so it's hard to give a really accurate review.. but it was really very nice! Something I had never ever tried before. And it takes a while to get the hang of eating a taco, I think, especially a hard one, since it CRACKS when you use a knife on it. She ended up using her hands. A bit messy, but very VERY nice, especially with the special sauce it came with.

Pei Vin, being unsure of what to order, stuck to the safe option
Cajun Fish and Chips (RM 20-odd? Sorry, I fail at this).
Okay, it may look quite dry and not very appetising compared to the other, more exotic, things we ordered, but it's pretty damn good! The pinkish sauce is the dip for the fish, I have no idea what it is, but it's definitely not regular old tartar. Stupendously good. The fish didn't taste 'Cajun', I mean, I don't know what 'Cajun' is, but it tasted like regular battered fish, so... but it was really delicious! Perfectly soft and white under the crispy coat of batter. And the friessss *drool* I LOVE THEIR FRIES. I like my fries crispy on the outside and soft and potatoey on the inside. Therefore, it only made perfect sense to throw my carb-less diet to the wind (heck I was going to drink beer in a bit, so what's the point of a diet?), and inhale Pei Vin's fries for her.

Sufficiently reenergised, we resumed camwhoring with vigour.
Our resident supermodel, Chris Tan.

But then all hell broke loose. Pei Vin went on a terror spree!
"HAND OVER THAT PHONE!"
"I LOOK HORRIBLEE!!"

I think the other customers thought we were mad. We were, sort of. IT'S THE REFRIED BEANS, I SWEAR.

BEST BEHAVIOUR, EVERYBODY!

 After the war, we put all differences aside and took a happy group shot. All the warring places in the world should emulate us. Seriously. UN, maybe you should discuss this at the next summit or whatever. BTW, if I stop blogging, it's because I've been murdered by Pei Vin for posting mad photos of her. Sorry Pei Vin! Nice pics coming up!

After brawling like a bunch of enraged cowboys in a Mexican cantina paying the bill in a dignified manner, we went to Brussels!

Chris with her Hoegaarden, Chrissy with her Baileys, and Pei Vin with her.... tomato juice. Sigh.

The Beer Guy! Poor man, I was like "WAITTTT! I WANT TO TAKE YOUR PICTURE!" and he had to stop and smile (while cursing inwardly, no doubt).

Hello, beloved Hoegaarden, we meet again.
Light, ice-cold, refreshing beer. YUM!  
I refuse to think of the calories.
Pei Vin's tomato juice turned out to be utter crap. So we played lat-tali-lat to see who'd have to drink it. Guess who was the lucky loser?
Sigh.

I like tomatoes, I do. But tomato juice? Sorrylah. It's gross.

After more gossiping and bitching and gawping at Amber Chia's preggerness, we had to leaveeeee. And here ends this week's episode of 'ESCAPING FROM THE MONKEYS!'.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, so THAT'S why you guys not coming for Wed practice !!! xD

haha, no worries. But you sure can make a girl jealous !!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The fooddddddddddddddddddddddddd >.<

Yvonne said...

Omg very the embarassing lehhhhh

May Lee said...

sasa - haha yep sorry! will be there next wednesday though!

pei vin - haha sorry la.. but got nice pics of you whatt <3